Ok, ok; I’ll admit it. My new favorite thing to have with a nice cup of joe are…cupcakes! What else would a sane person trying to lose weight eat first thing in the morning? There is just something about eating something sweet with coffee, really jump starts your day (temporary sugar rush talking, endorphins kicking in). Or in my vampiress case, night (I work graveyard – everything is backwards!).
With Halloween right around the corner, I knew I had to do something fun and spooky. Well, I suppose these didn’t really come out as spooky as I would have liked. They’re actually pretty darn cute. If you can’t guess by my amazing pictorials (
no pun intended), they are supposed to look like eye balls. So what if the frosting turned out yellow…and I ran out of red food coloring…it’s all about imagination right?
These cupcakes are moist, chocolaty, and buttery. There’s no better way to describe them. Oh and definitely wicked too!
Enjoy ♥ G
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 bag of gummy rings
Boil water in a kettle then measure out 1-1/4 cup.
Combine chopped chocolate and cocoa powder in a medium sized bowl, add boiling water, whisk until smooth, set aside.
Sift flours, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. Add the ground pepper, set aside.
In a standing mixer, beat butter until creamy.
Add the brown sugar and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
At medium speed, add eggs one at a time, beat well between each.
Add sour cream and vanilla and beat until combined.
Add about a third of the flour mixture, beat briefly until combined.
Add about half of the chocolate mixture, beat briefly until combined.
Repeat, adding flour, chocolate, then flour. Beat until just combined. Scrape down bowl if needed.
Fill cupcake papers about 3/4s full. Bake at 350 degree oven for 22-25 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- After cakes have cooled and been frosted, place one gummy in the center of the cake. Then slice a very small portion of another gummy and place into the center. You can also use a jelly bean!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar (measure how sweet you like your frosting)
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon & chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
In a bowl combine butter, sugar and salt. Beat till blended.
Add the milk, vanilla, and spices and beat for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
- Frost cupcakes keeping a small portion and tint with food coloring of your choice. Spread on with a toothpick or pipe with a piping bag to make veins.